Avoiding Wet Wood

During winter finding a dry firewood supplier can be often tough, which is why storing your own wood is sometimes the best option.

You should avoid using wet logs wherever possible for the following reasons:

  1. The moisture in the logs decreases their ability to create heat for burning and effectively warm the room. Most of the heat is used to evaporate the water in the wood, and the remainder is often not enough to give off sufficient warmth.
  2. The water vapour decreases the temperature of burning and contributes to an unpleasantly smokey fire and soot formation, which accumulates and forms a black hard layer on the inner walls of the fireplace the glass ceramics, pipes and the chimney. This can damage your fireplace in the long run.
  3. Wet wood fires are not environment friendly – gases leave the chimney unburned and pollute the air.

About Author